Thursday, April 12, 2012

Developing a Thesis


For this post, I will be explaining my writing process in effort to develop a thesis for a paper I will be writing. When I write, I usually start with a general idea or principle and I expand on this idea until I have enough of a grasp on the concept of what I'm writing about. I then write my introduction. In this process I carefully formulate a thesis in which embodies some key words that will outline my sub-topics or points that I will  be trying to make with my article. Sometimes if the idea really resonates with me, I just sit and write using my introduction as an outline and a map to show me where to take my next paragraph. If the idea remains undeveloped at this point I try and structure an outline, laying out all the points I will make chronologically through my paragraphs after my introduction and make sure they can flow into a conclusion, usually more of an in depth insightful version of my introduction and thesis.

To develop my thesis, I brainstorm general major ideas, in this case my general topic of interest and writing is the American cultural hegemony. From this major idea I develop my opinion on the matter and from this usually I can draw a stance in writing resembling a thesis. However to have a highly developed thesis statement I like to include major reasoning points of my paper within the thesis statement. So from my opinion I develop my general  stance on the issue, "There is a vast corporation-influenced cultural hegemony taking place in the the United States and around the world." From this statement, I develop points of reasoning to include reasons why this "cultural hegemony" is taking place and how it could be affecting the rest of the world in my developing statement. By researching the specific wording I use in the thesis statement above I find my reasoning, "the capitalistic nature of the U.S. government and the power of corporations and advertising encourages an international U.S. cultural hegemony and cultural imperialism." Then I simply connect my statement with my researched reasoning connections and this is what comes out:

There is a vast corporation-influenced cultural hegemony taking place in the the United States and around the world due to the capitalistic nature of the U.S. government and the power of corporations combined with advertising, all encouraging a U.S. cultural dominance and overall International cultural imperialism.

No comments:

Post a Comment